Paul Strooper

Paul Strooper
Head of School for Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (ITEE)

Listen

Rob Moffatt

Rob Moffatt AM
Director of Information Technology Services (ITS)

Listen

Richard Kelly

Richard Kelly
Former Technical Advisor to the Professorial Board Committee investigating the acquisition of an Electronic Digital Computer

Listen

1958

A committee is established under Sydney A. Prentice to study the possibility of installing an automatic digital computer within the University.

1961

Order placed with the Australian General Electric company for the supply of a GE 225 Automatic Digital computer. At the same time, work also proceeds on the construction of a suitable area to house the equipment.

1962

The General Electric GE-225 Computer is installed in the Hawken Building (now called the Prentice Building) under the direction of Mr. R.E. Kelly, the first Computing Officer of the University. The formal name of the Unit is the University of Queensland Computer Centre.

1965

The staff of the Centre offer the first formal qualification in computing technology in Qld and one of the first in Australia. This is the P/G Diploma in Automatic Computing.

A second formal course, the P/G Diploma of Information Processing is offered in 1968. These courses move to the Department of Computer Science when it is formed in 1970.

1968

A dual processor multi programmed PDP-KA10 is delivered by Digital Equipment Corporation. It is ordered to meet growth of 30% pa and represents a new approach to "time sharing."

1969

The Department of Computer Science is established with Professor G.A. Rose the inaugural Chair. The Computer Centre is transferred from the Department of Electrical Engineering to this new department. Three full time programmers are employed by the Centre. Sixteen remote terminals for interactive time sharing are installed on the PDP-10

1970

The Computer Centre becomes a separate entity. Professor Rose continues as Director.

1972

Mr Alan Coulter is appointed full time Director of the Computer Centre.

1973/1974

The Centre's scope of operations increases to provide services to the newly established Griffith University.

Student admission processing initially known as the Joint Admission Centre established - later to become QTAC.

1975

University Senate approves the name "Prentice Computer Centre". First remote job entry batch station installed at Griffith University allowing users to submit card decks and receive print out from the PDP-10 without travelling to St Lucia.

1976

Further remote batch stations are installed and connected to the DEC PDP-10.

1977

The GE225 is decommissioned and presented to the Queensland Museum.


1978

A Digital Equipment Corporation PDP-10 KL-1090 Computer is installed. A total of 170 remote terminals now connected to the PDP-10's.

Large purchase of PDP-11s for departmental use.

1979

A Mini/Micro Support Group is established in the Centre to assist Departments.

1980

Personal computers begin to make an appearance at the University.

1981

The first DEC VAX System (an 11/780) is installed.

1982

The PDP KL-1090 System upgraded to a dual processor configuration. MICOM circuit switching and DECnet packet switching systems upgraded. By the end of 1982 there are 500 communications lines connected to the Centre operating at transmission speeds from 300bps to 9600bps.

A second Data Centre (DC2) is established at UQ. Gateways to external networks are installed providing access to CSIRO, other Australian Universities and to North America and Europe.

An experimental Local Area Network (ETHERNET) operating at 10 million bps is installed late in the year.

1983

A Computervision CAD/CAM system for computer aided design, improved plotting and printing facilities and a phototypesetter are installed. Hardware and software services are extended to support 16 bit micro-computer systems.

1984

An IBM 3083 System is installed. Griffith University contributes capital funds to reserve 12% of capacity for its own use. DEC KA-10 is decommissioned after 16 years of service.

1987

A DEC 8550 computer system is installed to replace the DEC PDP KL-1090 system.

1988

A three year old IBM 3081 processor system replaces the IBM 3083 providing additional processing power and disk space. The Centre makes a major contribution to the development and operation of the Univations Pavilion at World EXPO 88.

1990

Mr John Noad appointed as Director of Prentice Computer Centre.

1991

The Audio Visual Department is transferred to the Prentice Computer Centre resulting in a name change to "The Prentice Centre". Access to Network infrastructure is funded centrally.

1992

The DEC PDP KL-1090 is retired. UQ hosts the 1992 AARNet Network shop.

1993

A Cray Y-MP Supercomputer is leased to replace the IBM 3081. A MASPAR parallel high performance computer is relocated from the Department of Electrical Engineering. SERT (Security Emergency Response Team) established as a joint operation by UQ, QUT, and Griffith Universities. Forty-eight dial-in modems now installed.

1994

SERT renamed AUSCERT following the award of a contract to provide security services to AARNET and to avoid confusion with the US based CERT.

1995

A Silicon Graphics Power Challenge Supercomputer is installed to replace the CRAY Y-MP. It provides approximately 10 times the processing capacity of the Cray. GDC ATM switch and Wellfleet Backbone Concentrator nodes installed to provide significant increase in UQ backbone network bandwidth. Upgrade of links to QUT and Griffith to 34Mbps point to point microwave. New Cisco routing equipment is installed at the Queensland hub within the Prentice Centre. The link to the Gatton Campus is upgraded from 2Mbps to 34Mbps.

1996

DEC Alpha Stations are purchased as the new standard platform for Central Network Services to the university. 180 dial-in modems now installed.

1997

Graham Rees and Jennie Perry-Smith appointed co-Directors of The Prentice Centre.

1998

Review of Information Technology at the University leads to the formation of ITS. Silicon Graphics Origin 2000 supercomputer installed. GPN1 Data Centre is commissioned.

1999

Nick Tate joins as first director of ITS. Ipswich Data Centre is commissioned. Cisco 6500 multilayer switch introduced to the Ipswich campus.

2000

Sun Enterprise 10000 system installed comprising two chassis and 96 processors. Also included is 5 terabytes of disc space. Over 1200 modems now installed.

2001

UQconnect, The University's very own ISP is launched. Managed 155Mbps services from AAPT installed from St Lucia to Ipswich and St Lucia to Gatton. UQ deploys a tiered architecture to its network, replacing previous collapsed backbone. First IP phone introduced – on a stand at Questnet, trunked from gold coast to UQ. ITS deploys a centralised UQ Active Directory domain.

2002

Silicon Graphics Origin 3000 supercomputer installed. 40th anniversary of installation of first digital computer in Queensland. Dark Fibre installed to connect St Lucia to Herston, PA and Mater Hospitals, Dentistry and Customs House.

Rollout of the central 'UQAPS' Citrix Farm offers University-wide multi-platform application deployment.

2003

Altix Supercomputer with IA64 processors installed as part of the High Performance computing cluster.

2004

Multicast technology deployed on the network.

2005

Silicon Graphics Origin 3000 supercomputer retired. AARNet link upgraded to 1GB. Microsoft Exchange central University mail system rolled out. First Storage Area Network (SAN) array deployed.

2006

Sun Enterprise 25000 (E25k) is installed. Core routing protocol changes to OSPF. ITS deploys its first highly-available SQL server failover cluster. GPN1 Data Centre capacity is increased from 80 kVA to 160 kVA.

2007

Large scale server virtualisation introduced to UQ. Benefits include cost savings and reduced power consumption, cooling and data centre space requirements.

2008

AARNet link upgraded to 10GB. First iPhone purchased in University fleet. CCR Herston Data Centre is commissioned.

Microsoft is engaged for large-scale hosted Student Mail solution hosting approximately 150,000 student mailboxes.

2009

GPN2 Data Centre is commissioned. Sun Sparc T Enterprise series Server boxes installed in ITS. Phoenix Program created to upgrade UQ's network infrastructure. The program purchases 3500 wireless access points, 2171 Network switches & $2.7M in core equipment. UQ voice network central control equipment is converted to VOIP. Sun Enterprise 25000 (E25k) removed. StorageTek "powder horn" tape silo replaced with SL8500 units located at St Lucia and Ipswich campuses. Capacity of 2.5 petabytes (with dual copies).

2010

Barrine supercomputing cluster installed. Jeremy Crowley becomes Acting Director of ITS in February. Rob Moffatt becomes Director of ITS later that year.

Data Centre 3 is commissioned. UPS is upgraded in Data Centre 1 from 140 kVA to 200 kVA.

A UPS catches fire causing damage to Data Centre 2. DC2 was subsequently refurbished in 2011.

2011

Core videoconferencing system is developed at UQ. January floods devastate much of UQ. Damages to telepresence, satellite and outdoor fibre totals $800k. Damages to buildings result in an additional $250k of replacement IT equipment.

2012

Analogue IPTV is decommissioned. Streamed digital TV is introduced. ITS has 1.6PB of disk storage capacity across various systems (equivalent to a stack of CD's 4.5km high).